Reflective Jacket: Its Importance In A Workplace
Reflective Jacket also known as High Visiblity Jacket or hi vis jacket and sometimes simply called Safety Vest are clothing that has highly reflective properties or a color that is easily seen from any background.
High Visibility (Hi Vis) Jacket is an essential component of employees’ PPE in Nigerian industries today. By law, workplace management must meet all health and safety criteria including the provision of high visibility jackets. This particularly applies to workers who are exposed to the hazard of moving traffic, machinery or equipment in high risk situations; e.g. construction, warehousing, road work sites, delivery services, traffic and pedestrian control.
The purpose of reflective jacket is to signal the presence of the user in places and situations which may cause potential threats to their health and safety. Such signalling must be effective at any time of day and night, when it is dark — in the light of vehicle lamps, headlamps as well as street lighting, e.g. on roads.
Occupation that use high visibility jackets include railway and Highway workers, Site Engineers, Airport workers, or other places where workers are near moving vehicles or in dark areas. Some cyclists wear hi vis jacket when riding amongst motor vehicles. Hunters may be required to wear designated high-visibility clothing to prevent accidental
Whilst Hi Vis jacket is a key component of PPE in the workplace, it’s also used more and more throughout the leisure and sports industry; e.g. cyclists, runners, walkers and hikers, referees etc. Wearers not only appreciate the visual safety benefits, but also appreciate that it can aid in locating people who have become lost or injured.
The Importance Of Reflective Jacket (High Visibility Jackets) In A Workplace
Hi Vis Jacket is a relatively simple and inexpensive way to safe guard life from potentials dangers in a work place.
Aside from Government mandate, it really plays a major role in maintaining safety and preventing accidents.
Here, we review why reflective jacket is important in the workplace.
Let’ read on to find out more about the importance of Hi Vis clothing and how it works?
- 1. Any job that requires a person to work in a potentially dangerous area with low visibility and/or moving vehicles or machinery is required to wear Hi Vis clothing.
How does it work?
Hi Vis clothing is usually made up of either cotton or polyester and is designed to be reflective using special materials and bands. These bands are micro-prismatic and are reflective from all angles, helping increase the wearer’s visibility.
Whilst Hi Vis clothing is designed to last a long time over a given amount of washes, it’s important the garments are worn correctly, stored properly and are examined regularly for wear and tear. As an indicator, your Hi Vis gear will need replacing when the outside material becomes less reflective and/or the reflective bands start to wear.
Jumia Nigeria offers a wide range of quality HI Vis Work wear to suit your workplace or leisure needs at affordable prices.
- 2. Reflective jacket reduces the risk of accidents and fatalities in busy environments where there is vehicular traffic – in construction areas, marshaling yards and industrial premises.
At locations such as these, reflective jacket work wear or PPE (personal protective equipment) is required by Health and Safety regulations.
Similarly, in large storage aisles and warehouses, forklifts can be relatively silent if their warning horns are momentarily not in operation. In this type of environment or when working near entrance and exit areas, reflective over vests or jackets are required as a minimum.
- 3. It is obligatory for the employer, under employment contract to provide safe system and place of work and to take measures to ensure the safety of the worker.
Therefore, Professional Health & Safety advisers frown at companies not adhering to this simple instruction and therefore carry out routine checks to ensure compliance.
- 4. Depending on ambient lighting and any electrical illumination, full body hi-vis clothing may be necessary for workers so that the drivers of approaching vehicles can see the wearer more easily. This is especially important in traffic management roles; reflective trousers and jackets are much more noticeable and, therefore, help to increase the margin of safety.
The most effective choice of garment color are: Yellow, Orange or Lemon. However, the contrast of the wearer against any background must be considered for safety where there is less than optimal lighting; Extra reflective strips are an additional bright feature on some types of waistcoat and trousers.
- 5. It can be used to good effect at a corporate level to identify staff and authorized personnel in any given location – particularly where access is controlled or restricted for safety or security reasons. This uniformity of appearance makes it easier for approaching visitors to identify company employees at goods inwards or security gates. It also fosters a team spirit in employees and increases awareness of a company’s presence by promoting a visible corporate identity.
In a nutshell, Reflective Jacket is good for every roadside workers, construction workers, truck drivers, bikers, traffic controller and security men from avoidable hazards during the day and night due to easy visibility from afar.
The reflective jacket gives signal of the presence of an individual wearing it to people around. This is even stronger in poor light or in fog or nearer dusk. At night when there is no sunlight, then light from sources such as car headlights bounce off the reflective areas to make the tape glow, increasing night time visibility.
Where To Buy Reflective Jacket
Jumia Nigeria has been one of the top estore for online shopping in Nigeria. Literally, at a click of the button, you can get one at the comfort of your home.
One key feature to look out for when buying are:
- A bright color preferable, Lemon, orange or Yellow.
- Reflective strap in case of darkness.
- Band safety reflective straps
Top Recommended Seller: Reflective Jacket Jumia Recommendation