cPanel is one of the best and most widely used shared hosting control Panel. Knowing what is cPanel is key to understanding what you can do with it.
If you’re just setting up your own website for the first time, you’re pretty much guaranteed to need to use cPanel at some point.
90% of the top web hosting providers use cPanel.
What is cPanel ?
cPanel is one of the most popular Linux-based control panels for web hosting accounts. It lets you conveniently manage all services in a single place.
Intuitive and easy to use, cPanel empowers you to manage a web hosting account with maximum efficiency. Whether you are creating new FTP users and email addresses or monitoring resources, creating subdomains and installing software.
The great thing about cPanel is that it allows non technical people to manage all aspects of their hosting without the need for advanced technical skills.
Accoring to Wikipedia, cPanel is an online Linux-based web hosting control panel that provides a graphical interface and automation tools designed to simplify the process of hosting a web site to the website owner or the “end user”.
In a nutshell, cPanel is a web based hosting control panel provided by many hosting providers to website owners allowing them to manage their websites from a web based interface. This program gives users a graphical interface from which they can control their portion of the Unix server.
cPanel can be accessed using https on port 2082, 2083 or simply by adding “/cpanel” to the end of the host name. Depending on the hosting provider, the cPanel will generally have some sort of auto installer or package dedicated to content management systems.
If your cPanel interface looks different, you can easily change the style by finding the “Preferences” section of the Home page (it’s usually near the bottom) and click “Change Style”.
What We Can Do With cPanel?
There are quite a lot we can do with cPanel, among others are:
- Connect domain names to your hosting
- Set up emails for your site
- Install WordPress (or another content management system)
- Back up your website
- Upload files
- Check your bandwidth usage
- And a whole lot more – to change security settings, check out your website’s analytics and install helpful apps, etc.
Importance of cPanel
Even a cursory search of hosting plans will surely expose you to cPanel. It is far and away the most popular control panel and the industry standard. As such, it is easily compatible with many open-source apps that can be integrated into the control panel or run by it.
Lets look at some of its pros over other control panel.
- Extremely Popular and Not Exotic – cPanel is pretty much an industry standard control panel for Linux hosts.
- Scaleable – cPanel can be used for shared hosting, reseller hosting, Virtual Private Servers and Dedicated Servers. For Resellers, VPS and Dedicated Servers the cPanel server administration is performed via the WHM control interface.
- Low Cost – cPanel licences are not expensive. If you are on a shared hosting platform then your hosting company will pay for the licence.
- Few Licensing limitations – Unlike some hosting control panels cPanel does not have any limits of the number of sites that can be used with one licence.
- Easy to install – Once your Linux Server installation is set up you just need to run the cPanel installation script
- Secure and Easy to Maintain – Keeping cPanel up to date and secure is very straightforward.
- Intuitive and Easy to Use – cPanel has a gentle learning curve and whilst it has advanced features, beginners will find it easy to perform the main tasks like creating email accounts
- Fully Featured – cPanel allows website administrators to quickly add extra functionality to their websites using a 1 click installation software such as Softaculous. Adding a blog or eCommerce software is very straightforward.
- Portability (Easy Migration Process) – Migrating from one cPanel server to another is extremely easy. This is important if you need to transfer your hosting from one supplier to another.
- Easy to Back Up – cPanel includes a number of backup options to protect your valuable data. It also integrates seamlessly with 3rd party backup software easily.
- Value Added Services – cPanel has loads of 3rd Party Applications that can be included to add value to your service offering if you are using a VPS or Dedicated Server.
The cPanel Features
With a feature list as comprehensive as that found in cPanel, there is no longer a need to wonder why thousands and thousands of people are drawn to it. With so many beneficial and useful aspects, users are offered with hundreds of possibilities to manage and improve their websites.
Some of these key features include the following:
- Email. Multiple communication platforms and settings are available, including email account creation and deletion, email messaging, email forwarding, email filtering, filter creation, and automatic spam blocking are just a few.
- File Management. The information on a website is organized by cPanel on the server, so that file management is a breeze. Multiple domains, creation of subdomains, access to FTP servers, file backup, and disk space data are some of what can be expected from this Cpanel feature.
- Domain Management. Controlling website properties have also been made easier by cPanel. Through this feature, add on domains, subdomains, parked domains, and redirects can be managed.
- Script Editing. Blogs, online chats, shopping carts, forums, and other features can easily be done through the scrip editing functionality of cPanel.
What is cPanel Hosting?
cPanel hosting is essentially Linux web hosting which includes the installation of cPanel.
cPanel works pretty well in the majority of cases and makes for a sensible choice when you’re looking for a control panel solution. Here’s what to expect:
Pros of Cpanel Hosting:
- Easy to learn
- Easy to use
- Saves time and money
- Tried and tested
- Includes software auto installers
- Plenty of tutorials/support available online
Cons of Cpanel Hosting:
- Number of features can be overwhelming
- Relatively easy to accidentally change important settings
- Some hosts run outdated software
Top cPanel Hosting Providers
Now, that you know what is cPanel and how it that it can be use, you probably want to know which are the best hosting providers that offer cPanel here in Nigeria. Bellow are our top 5 recommended cPanel hosting companies that include cPanel control panel for free with their shared hosting plans:
|N3,500/yr||Read Review||Visit Host|
|N3,600/yr||Read Review||Visit Host|
|N3,500/yr||Read Review||Visit Host|
|N2,500/yr||Read Review||Visit Host|
|N4,000/yr||Read Review||Visit Host|
|N2,500/yr||Read Review||Visit Host|
cPanel has now made website administration and development very easy tasks, even to the new entrants in the field of website development and hosting. Apart from being the web-based administrative control panel, cPanel helps in accessing vital features of overall website statistics with the web stats, FTP stats, AWStats, bandwidth usage, and visitor’s data.
cPanel also helps in creating and maintaining databases, uploading and downloading files; editing, creating, and deleting files; and many other important functionality. The ease at which the website can be managed through the cPanel is truly unbelievable and has made the website management extremely simple.
Hope you now know what is cPanel and what it can be use for. If you have any question, you can ask in the comment below
Don’t Forget Share and Save The Pin